If you are the occupier of a premises where a cooling tower system is located in NSW, you need to be aware of changes to your obligations commencing 1st January 2018
- Water samples must be collected on a on a monthly basis and analysed by a NATA accredited laboratory for Legionella and heterotrophic colony count (HCC).
- The first monthly test must be completed before 1 February 2018.
- Reporting of adverse bacterial results to the relevant local government authority is required in the event of Legionella being detected ≥ 1,000 cfu/mL or HCC results ≥ 5,000,000 cfu/mL.
For many this will not mean a change in the existing operational program, but for some it will mean rapid change to comply.
More changes to come:
Further changes are expected to be announced later in 2018, which are likely to include:
- Mandatory risk management plan (RMP) for each cooling tower system
- Annual independent audit of the RMP;
- Reporting of RMP and audit outcomes to local government; and
- Unique cooling tower identification number to be displayed.
Greencap’s expertise in cooling tower risk management
Greencap consultants have been assisting clients with Legionella and cooling tower risk management for over three decades. We currently manage microbiological testing and corrosion monitoring programs on behalf of a diverse range of clients across Australia in a wide variety of industries including:
- Industrials and manufacturing
- Healthcare and hospitals
- Commercial premises
The Greencap team has a depth of experience around plant and equipment, including a variety of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems – particularly in the area of Legionella risk and cooling tower consultation.
Our consultants are experienced in writing, reviewing and auditing cooling tower Risk Management Plans and Risk Assessments.
Online risk management dashboard
Greencap offers access to our tailored online reporting system, ContinuONE, which enables 24/7 tracking of Legionella and HCC results, as well as other risks associated with your cooling tower system.